Friday, February 12, 2016

...slow ...Lenten... beginnings...

Two days of Lent have came and have passed.  Only 38 days left, eh?  How are you doing?  Holding strong to all those commitments you have made?  Me?  ....I'm already WAY behind.  WAY behind our normal every year plans, anyways.  But I'm right on schedule with what He wants us to be doing so far this year.

You see, we've been celebrating Lent in our domestic church here for many years and we've developed many traditions.  We have kept almost all of them, and have added a new one every couple years.  So it adds up to a lot of things that we do. A lot of things to get set up and started all at once.  This year, I've just let things happen slower.  Other years, I have had things all ready the weekend before Ash Wednesday, so when that day hits everything is good to go.  I can't even tell you why I didn't do that this year, other than God has allowed a slower beginning.  And, that's ok.  I'm fine with that....

We have our Crown of Thorns on our table and many thorns have already been removed.  We even had a sweet friend's daughters come over and we made one for their family.  (my dear friend is on semi-bed rest because her babe-in-womb is attempting to make an early arrival, and while people sign up to bring meals to help, I"m better at providing on the "soul-food" end.  Hence the Crown of Thorns for them to guide them in their Lenten path)






But here's where I am at with setting up our Lenten REPENT cross and printed calendars and handprints...  (so touched though when the four big kids took the time on their own to create lists of their Lenten plan, since I didn't have the cross and hands ready to go)



Our devotions and books?  Got it down and I'm two for two with the Pope Francis daily devotional and writing our plans on our whiteboard.  Haven't even started the Pope Francis Mercy book yet though - doh!  Cramming will be happening this weekend as our actual study group starts meeting next week....



Our Jesus Tree?  Have it hung, but haven't even dug our beautiful felt ornaments out from the basement yet.  Gosh, I sure hope I can find where I hid them from myself from last year's Lent...  ++St. Anthony, please intercede!++


I am Skirting It Up for Lent again this year.  Kinda last minute, might I add.  I did this two years ago and really wasn't planning on it this year, but on Ash Wednesday morning a Sweet Whisper encouraged me to do so.  So I gave my fiat and will act in obedience.  Two of my girls also agreed to join me on this one.  Here we are for our first two days...

 (and just a warning, although I will be posting and sharing pics for accoutability on FB and IG, many of my outfits will be repeats, as my wardrobe is pretty limited and simple.  I'm just not a fancy girl...)

Our Stations posters had to be replaced this year.  And they... well... are still in the package, waiting to be hung.  And prayed.  (we try to pray this a couple times each week, marching around the house with flashlights in hand and with the lights off/dimmed - such a neat tradition!!)


Haven't even watched a Holy Heroes Lenten Adventure video yet.

Haven't even sang our "It's Lent" song this year...


And there are SO many awesome Lent videos out there to watch that I haven't even turned on yet for the kids, nor watched myself...


And, this is all okay!  Why?  Because we are not perfect.  Nor expected to be perfect.
We "are dust and to dust" we "shall return"
We give our yes, our fiat, on Ash Wednesday to walk with Him throughout these forty days.  With open hearts, we give to Him our imperfections, our failings, trusting He will shine forth His own Life within us even brighter and bring us to an even closer Life with Him.  He can do amazing things just by our willing, obedient, and joyful openness of our heart, mind and will.  

++May God bless you all with a blessed Lent!!++
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...